Our Master 5 has a milk allergy so for his very belated birthday cupcakes for school (we were in Disneyland for his birthday and then he was still unwell for the week following so cakes at school weren’t doable until last week….that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it) I made these dairy free cupcakes.
I’m not going to lie, they’re not the buttery goodness of your run of the mill cupcakes but they are the easiest and tastiest dairy free alternative I’ve found so far.
Dairy Free Chocolate Cupcakes
(makes 24 cup cakes or 12 regular sized muffins)
Click on the ingredients list to download a printable pdf of this recipe
- Preheat oven to 190 C (375 F)
- Line with paper cases or grease 2 x 12 hole cup cake pan (or 1 x 12 hole muffin pan if you’re making larger cakes)
- In a jug dissolve the cocoa in the boiling water and set aside to cool
- Meanwhile in a medium sized bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt
- In a large bowl beat the eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla until combined
- Gradually mix in the flour mixture and stir until combined
- Stir in cocoa
- Fill the cases/cups to 2/3rd’s full and bake for 15 to 20 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack before icing
Ice/Frost your cakes with your favourite frosting recipe (here’s a yummy one), replacing ordinary butter with a dairy-free spread OR try this recipe for a glossy dairy free frosting.
Dairy Free Chocolate Frosting/Icing
- 1 cup of sugar
- 6 Tbsp of corn starch (corn flour)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 4 Tbsp of cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of water
- ½ tsp of vanilla
- In small saucepan combine sugar, corn starch, salt and cocoa
- Whisk in water and heat over a medium heat
- Stir gently until thickened and smooth (a few minutes at most)
- Remove from heat and stir in the oil and vanilla
- Allow to cool and spread over cake/s
* Both these recipes were found online a few months ago. I can’t for the life of me find the original source. I will of course add links when I track them down! The frosting recipe was found on Yahoo Answers! but isn’t in the first few pages of results so I’m still sifting through.